The Dragon Whistler

The Dragon Whistler
Now available in paperback.

8.14.2008

Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague (book 3)


Let me start by saying that Brandon Mull is one of my favorite authors ever, and I have immensely enjoyed every single book I've read by him. On top of that, the concept behind the Fablehaven series is just fantastic in my opinion. It's the kind of series that has "legs," as we say in the ad biz. You could tell just by reading the first installment that the storyline could go anywhere, which is cool. So I went into reading Book 3 in the series with very high expectations -- and was not disappointed. 

Mull picks up where the story left off in Book 2 and keeps painting layer after layer in this wonderful world he has created. Fablehaven is under a strange spell of darkness that is infecting all the creatures of light -- not good. We get a glimpse at what some of the other preserves are like and Seth seems to have learned some lessons from his experiences in Book 2. Both his and Kendra's characters are even more developed. We meet new (or old depending on how you look at it) members of the Knights, uncover new (and old) secrets, plus get a clearer look at who are allies and who are not. My schedule forced me to read this book in fits and starts, and it says a lot about a story that I was not only able to pick back up after a reading hiatus and still be enthusiastic about it, but that I kept feeling anxious to get back to the story when away. 

I think the Fablehaven series keeps getting better with each book -- a rarity in a series. I am already looking forward to the next installment (although since he's still writing it, there's a long wait.) I highly recommend this entire series (the ten-year-old boys I know especially enjoy it). A rarely given 5 bookmarks for this one. Loved it!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never read a better book in my life!!! i loved all three books!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved it i have never read a better book!!!