The Dragon Whistler

The Dragon Whistler
Now available in paperback.

9.30.2008

Banned Book Week

A break from the reviews for a moment to talk about Banned Book Week. 

The following is a personal opinion. Please don't get mad and think I'm a bad person if I don't agree with you. I respect your opinion if it is different. This is just what I'm thinking about on this week where we are tipping our hats to books like Harry Potter, A Wrinkle in Time and just about every teen book Judy Blume ever wrote.

I, personally, don't believe in banning books. I do believe we live in America, a country where freedom is kind of a big deal. Banning books goes complete against the notion of freedom.

I do believe in protecting children from things they should not be exposed to. I believe in protecting innocence. I believe there are some books that may not be appropriate for children of a certain age, but those same books might be just right for an older child.

Primarily, I believe that when it comes to the issue of a book's inappropriateness for a child, that is it not the government's right to decide. It is the right of the parent. And the only way a parent can do that is to be involved with what their child is reading or interested in reading.

Nuff said.

No comments: