The Dragon Whistler

The Dragon Whistler
Now available in paperback.

12.30.2008

My 2008 Top 10 Favorite Kid's/YA books

This was a most difficult list to narrow down (there were so many great books this year!) And unfortunately there were many books I didn't get to that would probably be included here if I had (but more about that later). So, without further ado, and in no particular order, here are my top 10 books published in 2008:



> Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
> Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull
> The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall
> Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass
> The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
> Simon Bloom: The Gravity Keeper by Michael Reisman
> Rules by Cynthia Lord
> Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
> Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
> Savvy by Ingrid Law

Were hard to leave off:
> Puddlejumpers by Mark Jean and Christopher C. Carlson
> Nick of Time by Ted Bell
> The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

And now, 10+ books published this year that I wish I'd read and might have been on this list if I had read them before now.... again, in no particular order.

> Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
> 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
> The Hunger Game by Suzanne Collins
> Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer
> The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling
> The Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
> Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
> Ever by Gail Carson Levine
> The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
> The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
> If You're Reading This, It's Too late by Pseudonymous Bosch
> Paper Towns by John Green
> Graceling by Kristin Cashore
> Fact of Life #31 by Denise Vega

Obviously, there was much reading to be done that didn't get done. And I'm REALLY behind now because I'm spending much of my reading time reading the entries submitted for the 2008/2009 CISD Writing Contest -- for which I am honored to be a judge. 

2009 looks to be a great year, with anticipated books from Brandon Mull, Michael Scott, a new series from Cindy Williams Chima... and of course (on the movie front) HP6 on the screen.

What were your favorite books that came out last year? I'd love to hear.

Happy new year to all my faithful readers! Looking forward to a wonderful 2009!

No comments: