The Dragon Whistler

The Dragon Whistler
Now available in paperback.

1.27.2009

The Graveyard Book wins the Newbery


Yesterday, the Newbery and Caldecott Medals were announced and the American Library Association's midwinter conference in Denver (yay Denver!) I was  thrilled to learn that Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book (HarperCollins) won the coveted Newbery. I love Neil Gaiman (Coraline, Stardust) and have wanted to read this new book for some time (it's in my to-read pile, but that's a very tall pile!) Congratulations Neil, well deserved I'm sure.

Other winners were The House in the Night (Houghton Mifflin) by Susan Marie Swanson who won the Caldecott, and another favorite of mine, Savvy (Dial/Walden Media) by Ingrid Law was named a Newbery Honor book. I hadn't read or even heard of any of the Printz winners for young adults, so I'm not sure what that means. Mo Willems won the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award for his Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Hyperion) The William C. Morris Award for YA Debut went to A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C Bunce (Scholastic/Levine) a book I've heard is fantastic.

For a complete list of winners, and the entire Publisher's Weekly article, click here. Congratulations to all the winners and honorees!

UPDATE:  I would also like to say how FANTASTIC it is to see a fantasy writer win this award!
Go to the official website to read more. 

No comments: